Sunday, December 26, 2010

Merry Christmas!

It has been a very busy holiday season here at our house. My parents have been visiting from Florida since Nov. 18th and had planned on returning Tuesday Dec. 28th but the blizzard is probably going to delay those plans. We have been enjoying their company, eating way too much, and doing lots of holiday projects with the grandkids. One day I had Landon and Savannah over to make ornaments much like the ones their Mom made when she was little.
The next day they came over and decorated gingerbread houses for the table centerpieces for Christmas dinner. I took each one of them shopping to buy their own presents for their parents and siblings and then we returned home and each wrapped their own presents. They were both very proud and excited and kept repeating to themselves " I'm not going to tell them what i got for them, it's a secret"  There has been hot chocolate with french vanilla snowman marshmallows, and plenty of How the Grinch stole christmas, a personal favorite of mine. 
I had 15 for Christmas Eve dinner between the dining room and living room. I think i was feeling fairly overwhelmed this year and found myself muttering over and over, "I can't do this anymore, it's too much" but it all worked out in the end, as it usually does.

The kids table  ranged in age from 2 1/2 to 24 but they all had fun together. I always have a surprise at each place setting, usually an ornament for the tree, the little ones each had a real gingerbread ornament and the rest of us had a German marzipan called the lucky penny man, who is supposed to bring good luck and prosperity in the new year.

It was a typical Virginia Christmas Dinner
The menu consisted of a 22 pound Whole Baked Ham
Fried Oysters ( from my husband's oyster grounds)
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Baby Carrots
Steamed Fresh Green Beans
Steamed Asparagus
Baked Apples
Broccoli Salad
Fresh Pineapple
Celery and Cream Cheese, Olives and Stuffed Dates
Homemade Sweet Potato Biscuits
(canned crescent rolls for those who don't eat biscuits)
Sweet Tea
Chocolate Cheesecake
Cream Puffs
Christmas cookies
We baked and cooked for 2 days! 
My daughter, her husband and our 3 grandchildren

Ray and I with the kids and grandkids.
 My husband's eyes were closed but this was the overall best shot with the kids.

Near the end of the night, a call came in from Santa making last minute checks to his list.

May the Peace of the Season be with you and your families. May you be Blessed with Love and Good Health.
May you also have good luck and prosperity in the New Year!

2 comments:

  1. what great family photos ... and a beautiful home you have. I have to say I'm not missing the snow ... but I have a feeling I'll have time to experience a lot of it before the winter is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Thank you for sharing pictures and stories from your Christmas celebration with your family. I have family up from FL as well.
    You sure set a beautiful table, and I can just imagine how scrumptious your meal must be considering you two own a restaurant! YUM!! You have a gorgeous family - right down to those adorable grandchildren (they all take after Grandma, right?) :-) Are the pictures taken with your new camera??
    Wishing you a Happy New Year and looking forward to seeing you again in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails