The wind is out of my sails this morning.
On Monday, somewhere around 3:30 in the afternoon I think, my husband called me from his boat to ask me to take a quick ride over to the restaurant ( which is closed Mon and Tues) as he had just received a call from the alarm company that the fire detectors were going off.
I took off to go check figuring that with the extreme heat we have been having, it just got too hot in the kitchen with the exhaust fans off and tripped the temp on the alarm.
No such luck.
As I rounded the corner I could see smoke. I got there right ahead of the 5 fire companies that responded and when i opened the front door a thick black wall of smoke came out at me.
After all was said and done, the fire chief took me in to show me that the fire apparrently started with the beer keg cooler, that it had overheated and caught the bar on fire, being a resin topped bar it ignited and burned quickly.
Showing me the hottest area that burned
It seemed at the time manageable enough that we called a restoration company and we all rolled up our sleeeves and got started in the cleanup that night. This is after all the busiest 2 weeks of our year. Today is the famous Pony swim and Pony Penning week on Chincoteague Island.
We are so grateful that the fire didn't destroy the buildng and that we have so much to be thankful for. No one was hurt and we have a building to work with.
It's hard to keep reminding yourself of that when everything looks like this. The smoke went through the HVAC, all 4 units and left a coating of soot EVERYWHERE
We were optimistic to be opened this weekend until last night when we were informed that the HVAC units were shot, and the ductwork can't be cleaned because they are insulated inside.
I know we'll get through this like everything else in life, it's just a difficult time here lately.
There are so many to pray for these days and to keep in our thoughts but if you have a few to spare , we could sure use them.
Thank you and God Bless